This is a task that has spanned more than a year and a half. It’s not that it had to, it’s just that there always seemed to be something more pressing to do. I did finish the interior portion of this in April of 2010 right after I had the interior container walls removed. That worked OK for the first winter, but I really needed to finish it before this winter to avoid any cold spots on the few metal wall remnants that are just behind the drywall. There was a small amount of condensation on them last winter, and I’m sure it was due to the cold air reaching deep into the gaps. Continue reading
The siding is finally up, and my cabin now looks less like a tar paper shack when the doors are open. The siding has been one of those easy things to postpone since it didn’t improve my comfort when I was there, and the container doors completely protected the walls when I wasn’t. This is one of those bigger bang for the buck improvements since it was relatively cheap and only took a day to complete. Continue reading
Just a quick post about some changes I made to the heating system since my Wood Stove and Chimney post last November. After some very cold nights last winter (< -10F), it seemed that my Jotul 602 was having trouble keeping the cabin warm enough. I was worried that I might need to get a larger stove, and even started perusing Craigslist to see what might be available. I also spent some time researching potential fixes on various forums when I found the answer. Continue reading
This past weekend was my third trip to the cabin this month, and I’ve made some good progress on the interior during that time. I’ve finished the bedroom, textured and painted most of the walls, installed about 3/4 of the laminate flooring, assembled some more Ikea furniture, and got a small start on the kitchen. Continue reading
A new How to Build page has been added that summarizes the process of building a shipping container cabin. Instead of trying to navigate through all of the previous posts, you can now see everything in a single orderly document. You’ll also notice that it’s not complete, just like my cabin. I’m treating it as a living document and will make additions and changes as my cabin progresses.