Monthly Archives: September 2010

Installing the Subfloor

Several people have already asked me why I bothered installing a new subfloor over the existing plywood.  The primary reason has to do with the removed side walls.  When the sidewalls are removed, in my case with a  cutting torch, there are remnants of the side wall that stand up about 1/4″ from the bottom rail of the container. Even if you could eliminate this remnant, the bottom rail itself is about 1/8″ higher than the surrounding plywood – at least on my containers.  There is also the issue of sealing up the gap that exists between the containers. Continue reading

Interior Framing

The interior framing is mostly done, except for a couple of the partition walls.  As mentioned previously, I chose to use 1 5/8″ UltraSTEEL steel studs from Dietrich Metal Framing for the space saving aspect over traditional wood studs.  In retrospect, I’m not so sure I would do it again.  I only saved about 2″ on two sides of the cabin, which worked out to be just six square feet of floor space. Continue reading

Exterior Walls

I finished the exterior walls a few weeks ago, and everything went together fairly well.  I decided to use standard 2×4 wood studs for the exterior walls since I’m comfortable framing in windows and doors with them.  For the interior framing I am using 1 5/8″ steel studs mainly for the space saving aspect, although I will be discussing that separately in an upcoming post. Continue reading

The Floor Dilemma

I fully intended to replace the original floors in my shipping containers with new plywood, although I was not looking forward to the work involved.  I had read of the chemicals used to treat the plywood floors and the potential health risks to humans, so I really didn’t think I had a choice.  Everything that I had read though focused on Basileum SI-84 as the chemical of choice for plywood in shipping containers.  When my containers arrived, I was surprised to find that they were treated with Radaleum FHP-60 instead of Basileum – not that I knew what Radaleum FHP-60 even was. Continue reading

Removing the Walls

Removing the walls

Removing the walls

This was kind of a disappointment for me.  I had arranged to have the internal walls removed with a plasma cutter, but there was a problem.  The welder I  hired could not find a large enough generator that could produce clean power for his plasma cutter, so he just showed up with cutting torches instead.  I really wanted to have the clean cuts a plasma cutter makes for both the cabin interior and the resulting leftover steel panels.  I’m not going to complain too much since his fee was very reasonable, and I really did not want to do this myself.  In the end it probably doesn’t matter since everything that was cut will be covered up in some way. Continue reading