The containers arrived on December 7th 2009. It was a bit later than I wanted, but my contractor said they wanted the ground to be frozen before they brought in their crane. I also think they wanted to wait until after deer season was over. They felt the containers were light enough for just nylon straps, although I would have been a bit more comfortable with chains myself.
Just a quick comment on shipping. It was closing in on December, and I was getting a bit worried whether or not I would actually get the containers delivered before the snow really started to fall. The Chicago based shipping company that I was referred to by my container dealer was afraid to deliver to my rural property with even a light covering of snow on the ground. I could store the containers in Chicago over the winter for a dollar per day per container – not a bad price, but I did want to start work on the cabin as soon as possible. Fortunately, I ended up calling a local trucking company that had lots of experience in the area. They said they actually preferred driving on the fields that time of year since the ground was hard and relatively dry, and their trucks would not get stuck.
With a crane and a few people, the initial placement of the containers is pretty easy.
For final adjustments, large crowbars were used. It was amazing how easy it was for a single person to precisely move these with just a crowbar. The smooth metal plates that the corner blocks rested on probably helped a lot in this respect.
Come-alongs were used on the top and the bottom to tighten the containers together before welding them in place.